The Hypnotic Trance State
The Hypnotic Trance State:
The reason we can be hypnotized at all is because it was discovered that the outside input that we will automatically react to, can be in the form of a suggestion.
When the natural trance state is enabled, we can amplify it into a hypnotic trance state by providing suggestions that internalize the focus of attention, and activate the imagination as a reaction input source that replaces the input from the 5 senses.
When this happens, several mental changes occur:
1. Since our focus of attention is internal to our body, and the imagination is now providing the input to be reacted to (from suggestion) our peripheral awareness starts becoming diminished as an input source.
2. Since the outside input from our peripheral awareness has been replaced by input from the imagination, our ability to tell what is real and true in the world also becomes diminished. More accurately, our ability to dis-believe becomes diminished... Everything becomes true. Just like before the age of 7 or 8 when we were found out about Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy.. etc. (This ability to tell what is real and true in the world is what I define the critical faculty (or factor) to be).
3. The value of everything being true is that we automatically adapt to whatever we believe is real. Think about getting into a cool swimming pool or a hot tub... when you first get in... it's Ohhh!... then in just moments, we adapt to the new reality. That's how fast we do it.
4. So when in a hypnotic trance state, and two conditions exist, we automatically react to suggestion... and our body automatically adapts to the new (truth) reality.
5. The two conditions that need to exist in order for us to automatically react to suggestion in hypnotic trance state are:
A. We have to know how to react.
(if I asked you to start dextroboping...you would just look at me and ask how to do that.)
B. There has to be no reason not to.
(In the most basic form, hypnosis is me telling you what to do to yourself... My magic wand is at Hogwarts getting warranty work done... you have the ultimate veto power if a suggestion is unacceptable... NO!)
But; if these two conditions do exist, you will automatically react to a suggestion, and your body will automatically adapt to the new reality.
These automatic reactions are what are most commonly called “trance effects” which are automatic reactions to suggestion normally involving some form of demonstration of muscle or limb catalepsy or limb movement.
It takes an existing natural trance state to enable a hypnotic state, because the hypnotic state is simply an amplified version of our natural trance state.
This is true even with instant inductions.
So, for the purposes of this model; Hypnosis is defined as:The process of amplifying a natural trance state into a hypnotic state.
In this model, the thing that ties the two trance states together; what makes them both “trance” states; is their common utilization of our natural ability to automatically react to input without the involvement of the intellect.
With a natural trance state, the outside input is from the senses via our peripheral awareness.
With a hypnotic trance state, the outside input is from suggestion (automatic reaction to input from our senses via our peripheral awareness is diminished)